Monday, November 26, 2007

A New Look at Fitness - Second Week

Second Week of my journal. It has been a month since I started my new diet that includes herbal dietary supplements. I have lost 18 pounds so far. The dietary supplements insure that I get the recommended daily nutritional requirements while reducing my caloric intake. Now in the interest of full disclosure I must admit that I am a Herbalife distributor. I became one because the weight loss program developed by Herbalife has worked for me. Dietary supplements are not necessary for a healthy diet nor for weight loss, but Herbalife makes it easier to get results. Herbalife is a well known company that has been around for 27 years and markets in 64 countries to over 45 million people. Check out my website if you want to know more about Herbalife. There, that completes the commercial portion of my journal. Now here’s what is happening with me and my weight loss program.

Knowing My Body. I said last week that part of my diet was getting to know my body and my eating habits. Indeed if you go to a doctor, physical trainer or nutritionist, one of the first things they will ask of you it to do is keep a record of when and how much food you eat for several days to a week. You will also be asked what is your goal. The reason is simple, before you can plan a healthier life style you need to know what habits you will need change. Remember I called this a journey, and in any journey you need to know your starting point (current eating habits) and destination (goals) before you can plan the trip (weight loss program). So I took note of what I was eating, when I was eating and how much I ate. The results surprised me. Since my career requires me to sit behind a desk all day I found I was eating a lot of unhealthy snacks (ie. pastries, chips, nuts cookies). Also my meals normally included too much bread and too little vegetables. And I was not eating breakfast nor drinking enough water. No wonder I was always tired.

My solution! I set up a diet of 5 meals a day plus herbal supplements. Two of those meals were Herbalife nutritional shakes two were snacks consisting of a high protein snack and/or fruit. The third was a well balanced meal of meat, vegetables, grains and dairy. Finally, I drank at least 50ml of water daily. This was easier than I thought, since I work at a desk all day I just placed a 1.5 liter bottle of water on my desk and sipped from it all day. The other part of my weight loss plan was an exercise routine that included a two-mile course, weight training and calisthenics. I did my exercise routine four times a week for an hour. I walked the two-miles until I was fit enough to run. That is how I lost 18 pounds and I am still losing weight and feeling great while doing it. Well that’s it for this week. Next time I’ll share the problems I faced and the ones I am still facing. Until then, tell me about your experiences.

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At November 30, 2007 at 11:59 PM , Blogger Bev Mahone said...

Honey,

I'm very proud of you and your quest to educate our fellow boomers on the importance of being healthy and fit!

 
At December 1, 2007 at 10:17 AM , Blogger Susan said...

Beverly turned us BB Divas on to your site. It truly is a life long journey you've undertaken. Continued success, and enjoy the ride!

 
At December 1, 2007 at 12:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I met you, Nate, in person -- thru your lovely wife -- & I'd NEVER have seen you as overweight . . . yet I applaud your effort to work on the all-important issue of physical fitness. That is a crucial part of continued health -- no matter what our age!

Blessings -- Linda Alexander

 
At December 1, 2007 at 5:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nate,

You are an inspiration to so many of us baby boomers that need to focus on our health. I look forward to your posts.

Blessings,

Betty Lynch, Baby Boomer Diva

 
At December 4, 2007 at 12:21 AM , Blogger Claudia Meydrech said...

Wonderful blog, Nate! Thanks to your biggest fan to date, your wife, we've all been introduced to you.

I'll put a link to your blog in my blogroll on my http://www.happynutritionistsnuggets.com blog.

Claudia L. Meydrech, CN
http://happynutritionist.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home